Scott Mayes: Coach
Certifications and Experience:
- CrossFit Trainer Certified: Level 1
- CrossFit Training: 4 Years
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville: Civil Engineering
- Current TACP/JTAC USAF
- U.S. Army Air Assault Qualified
- Level 1 MACP Instructor
- Level 1 AFCP Instructor
- Krav Maga Instructor
- Spending time with my girlfriend, Lauren. I also enjoy just about any outdoor activity (hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc.), listening to and playing music, and hanging out with my dog, Hank.
I first started incorporating functional movements into my workouts while I was active duty Air Force. It helped to bridge the gap between working out and the physical readiness required for the mission. It wasn't until my break in military service that I fully committed to implementing an actual CrossFit/functional regiment to my everyday workout. Once I did, I found that both my body and my mind started becoming stronger. It allowed me to pursue a goal of becoming a TACP in the U.S. Air Force and eventually becoming a JTAC. My favorite aspect of CrossFit is the mental challenge and how it can translate to every day interactions and challenges. It is also proof that the body can push past limits that the mind places on it. CrossFit 1020 has been a great place to grow both physically and mentally. I'm happy to say that I'm part of the coaching staff.
"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson