Omar Olivas: Assistant Box Manager/Head Coach
Certification and Experience:
- CrossFit Trainer Certified: Level 1
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville - Master in Kinesiology
- University of California Irvine - Bachelors in Fine Arts
- Dance Professor for the department of Theater and Dance at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (Fall 2013 - Present)
- 20 plus years Training as a Professional Dancer: Ballet, Modern Dance, Acrobatics, Yoga and Contact Improvisation
- Diavolo Dance Theater (Company Member 2009 - 2014)
- Backhaus Dance (Company Member 2007 - 2009)
- ASTI CPR/AED Certified
- CrossFit Experience - 5 Years
My wife and kids are my number one interest. They come before anything and everything. I enjoy teaching dance, traveling, hanging out with friends, and if I get a chance, wake boarding and snowboarding.
I am obsessed with movement. As a kid, I always had trouble sitting still so my parents signed me up for every sport out there including dance. Running and basketball were a big part of my life until I entered college and began to train more seriously as a dancer. Upon graduation I danced for several companies with the last stop being Diavolo Dance Theater. I had never encountered a dance company so physically demanding as Diavolo. My first season with the company was very hard on my body and fatigue was a big issue during shows. I needed help and that’s where Crossfit came in. I needed to boost my stamina and strength, and from what I was told, Crossfit was perfect for that. After my first class at Crossfit 714 in California, a new passion was born. Not only was I getting stronger but also developing the taste for this new practice.
Now, with my dance performance years behind me, I find myself still in the Crossfit game coaching and competing in local competitions. I have such a passion for teaching and coaching others I can’t seem to stay away. My life revolves around teaching movement, whether it’s in the dance studio or at the box.
Thank you 1020 for allowing me to be part of this.